Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bessie Smith review and "Wild About That Thing" free mp3

Hey everybody! Happy Monday morning to ya. Course it's still Sunday night here for me but I thought I'd get a jump on you. Haw.

Check out this fabulous tune of mine "I'm Wild About That Thing" from my session with Jimmy Johnson on piano.

And then tonight I thought I'd search for myself on the web and look what I found! A review of me! Ha! And it's a great one too. Frank was always so good to me:

"She was a difficult and temperamental person, she had her love affairs, which frequently interfered with her work, but she never was a real problem. Bessie was a person for whose artistry, at least, I had the profoundest respect. I don't ever remember any artist in all my long, long years -- and this goes back to some of the famous singers, including Billie Holiday -- who could evoke the response from her listeners that Bessie did. Whatever pathos there is in the world, whatever sadness she had, was brought out in her singing -- and the audience knew it and responded to it."

- Apollo Theater owner Frank Schiffman

No comments: